Thursday, October 2, 2008

PAWS Chicago Walk

Sunday morning we were up bright and early to head into the city. My parents came into town last night so they could do the PAWS Chicago walk with Sydney and me. We picked up Grandma Barb on the way. PAWS (Pets Are Worth Saving) Chicago is an organization that I greatly admire and support however I can. Their goal is to make Chicago a no-kill city and are making great strides in this feat. This is the fourth year I've done this walk. Technically it's the third year Sydney has done this walk. Last year she rode in the Baby Bjorn, the year before she was in my belly.

Sydney loved all the dogs. She was "arf"ing in the car as we drove by the park, just looking at all the dogs on their way to the starting line. While we waited in line for packet pick-up (as I mentioned in a previous post, Sydney does not like waiting in line), Sydney ran from dog to dog. I'm trying to teach her to stop and wait for permission before she touches a strange dog, but she's not understanding that yet. Fortunately all of the dogs we met were friendly.

It was a dark, dreary morning. The sky at the lakefront looked ominous. Fortunately it didn't rain on us. Sydney was fascinated by the lake. Grandpa Darryl was close by, making sure Sydney didn't step off the edge.


Sydney takes a warm-up lap, getting ready for the 4k.

Last year there were about 1,500 walkers (and I'd guess about half that many dogs). I think there were a lot more people and dogs this year. This was the sea of people in front of us. It took 12 minutes for us to get to the starting line.


Grandpa Darryl, Grandma Judy and Grandma Barb with Sydney at the start of the walk. Sydney was happy in her stroller for a little while, but then she wanted to get down and walk just like everyone else.

I gave Sydney my number, let her out of the stroller, and she was off.

Sydney and Grandma Barb.
It was a windy morning, and some kite surfers were taking full advantage of it.


We finished the walk in an hour. Sydney could have used a nap, but instead we took advantage of being close to Lincoln Park Zoo and took Sydney on another adventure.

No comments: