Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Night - Christmas #3

Christmas night Sydney and I made the trip to Daddy's Aunt Judy's house for Christmas dinner. Daddy had to work, so it was just the girls. We sang Christmas carols (okay, I sang, Sydney jabbered, although she sometimes gets the melody pretty close) and snacked on animal crackers.

When we arrived it was decided that we would let Sydney open her presents before dinner. Because she had a lot. I always wear bows off my gifts on my head, so I felt it necessary for Sydney to do the same. This is the only picture I could get before she yanked it off her head.



Grandpa Glenn lets Sydney watch Mommy on the camcorder view screen.


During dinner Aunt Judy asked me if Sydney ever walks around in my shoes. I said no. She identifies whose shoes are whose ("Mommy's shoes!" and "Daddy's shoes!" are fun games in our house), and she often puts her hands in them, but she's never tried walking around in them. It was only minutes after I let Sydney down from her high chair that she came down the hall, wearing Aunt Diane's shoes. She definitely understands what we say; our dinner conversation was evidently full of ideas for her.




Cousin Adam sat down at the piano to play some after-dinner music (he plays beautifully!) and Sydney was fascinated. The other little cousins like to dance to the music, and I figured Sydney would do the same. She wasn't interested in dancing; she wanted to play. (Mommy's taking credit for this - I've got a piano on stand-by, just waiting for her to be old enough to take lessons.)







I didn't see it (I was hauling tons of toys out to the car), but I heard that Sydney let Adam hold her fingers to play "Chopsticks." I'm amazed. She usually doesn't even let us hold a finger long enough to clip a fingernail! I believe Grandpa Glenn may have a video of that.






One last picture with Grandma Barb and Grandpa Glenn, and we were ready to hit the road.

That is, until Sydney discovered the drumsticks. She had discovered the Rock Band drum set earlier in the evening, but all she did was push buttons. She didn't know what the sticks were for, or even realize that they were there. By this point, it was already 8:30, an hour past Sydney's bedtime, and the car was already running. Adam picked up the drumsticks and started playing on the drum set. Sydney saw those sticks, threw down (and I mean threw down) her sippy cup and Pink Elephant, and ran to get those sticks. I think Mommy made a mistake getting Guitar Hero for Christmas; I should have bought Rock Band instead. I obviously wasn't thinking that she would be playing. My mistake.
I apologize for the length of this video. My PC doesn't have video editing software. You can skip through the first two minutes without missing much.
So here's Sydney Paige: Future Rock Star.





I don't think there's any doubt that there will be music lessons in her future.

It was after 9:00 when we left, and Sydney was awake in the car until about 9:40. I thought for sure she'd sleep in Friday morning, since she missed two hours of sleep tonight. But of course not. Sydney has an excellent internal clock and was up at 7:00 Friday morning. But she did take a really good nap in the afternoon. Sydney didn't make it through all of her presents Christmas night. She got bored with opening and not being able to play with her gifts, so we just let her play and I brought home gifts for her to open later. Lucky girl, Christmas continues...

No comments: