Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day

I brought Sydney with me to vote first thing Tuesday morning. I wasn't expecting her to throw a temper tantrum at our polling place. We had to wait in line, which Sydney doesn't do very well, and the line went up a flight of stairs. She held onto my hands and walked up the stairs like a big girl, but when we got to the back of the line, about three steps from the top, she wasn't ready to stop and started kicking and screaming because she wanted to go all the way to the top. And then she started throwing Cheerios. I'm lucky they didn't kick us out. One of the election judges was kind enough to give Sydney a sticker. She stuck the sticker on Sydney's sweater and that was enough to distract her for a little while. I was hoping I'd get a chance to explain to Sydney what we were doing, but she was more interested in taking the marker out of my hand and trying to scribble on my ballot. I always wondered why they have signs up with instructions on how to get a new ballot. Before baby I couldn't image how you could damage a ballot within a few minutes in a voting booth. Now I see how it happens. Fortunately she didn't draw on my ballot, but she did draw all over my left hand and her left hand. I guess she just wanted to participate, too.


No comments: